Since I started graduate school in August I’ve picked up some bad eating habits. Most of my classes are at night so I don’t get home until late at night at least 3 days a week, which means I eating dinner before and after class. For the first few weeks of the semester I was so busy/tired I ended up grabbing Panera almost every day. My daily mac and cheese was delicious, but I noticed my pants starting to get tighter and knew I had to make a change.
About a week ago I started diligently using the My Fitness Pal app to track every single thing I eat/drink for the day and all exercise. I also started cooking all meals and doing monthly meal planning. This has helped me so much! Now I don’t have an excuse to grab Panera on the go because I always have something pre-planned for each day. I usually enter my items in the My Fitness Pal app the day before so I can make sure the calorie count and nutritional content match my daily goals. Planning is key! For my body eating is 90% of the challenge, with exercise being the other 10%. Despite a recent injury I’ve been going to the gym at least 3 days a week for 30 minutes. Baby steps make a huge difference!
I know everyone’s body is different, but if nothing else meal planning can help your wallet by not having to buy expensive takeout or restaurant weeks.
So, what have I been cooking? Some things have been basic like salad, lamb/beef burgers (my fav), grilled chicken, and healthy grains. To mix it up I’ve been trying some of the different meal kit delivery services (detailed reviews to come later!) including Blue Apron, Green Chef, and Marley Spoon.
Here’s my favorite meal I’ve cooked so far… Steak and Beet Panzanella from Green Chef.
Perfect example that losing weight and eating healthy can be a fun adventure! Check out Pinterest for more yummy recipes.
Have a good week! 🙂